You are here
Home > Local News > Ottumwa Christian School gives back to needy families for Thanksgiving

Ottumwa Christian School gives back to needy families for Thanksgiving

https://youtu.be/5Lo9b6DC2d0

By Jefferson Tyler, Multimedia Journalist

OTTUMWA, IA (KYOU) – Ottumwa Christian School is looking to give back to the community. The school is donating food to 8 less fortunate families for their Thanksgiving Basket Program. Providing meals, and smiles during the holidays to families, that otherwise may not have been able to afford such an abundance of food. Baskets are filled with a ham, turkey, potatoes and other veggies.
A few months ago, it was the school district in need. Their location destroyed by fire. The community came to their aid. Providing students with supplies. And even helping to find a location where the school could hold classes.

“It’s not necessarily that we want people to look at us and say ‘Oh look at everything we’ve been doing’. But we want just to give back to the community to show them that we do care. And we are thankful for everything they did for us when we were in need,” said one Ottumwa Christian School Student.

“It means so many people care enough to support the people in the community. And it is so awesome. And we are so grateful. And that’s all I can say,” said a recipient of the baskets.

The eight families who received the baskets, were chosen from recommendations, from local churches in the area.

Ottumwa Christian says they are still trying to put together additional baskets. Members of the community are welcome to drop off food or funding at the school, if they want to participate.

Copyright 2016 KYOU. All rights reserved.

Top