Crews respond to house fire on Ottumwa’s southside
OTTUMWA, Iowa (KYOU) -
A southside Ottumwa house is being investigated by fire crews after the back porch caught fire earlier this afternoon. Firefighters arrived at the house after neighbors reported seeing flames and smoke on the back porch.
The owner of the house was asleep at the time of the fire, he says he woke up to his neighbors banging on the door. The deputy fire chief says the fire was caused by an improperly extinguished cigarette. And, that the homeowner had inhaled some smoke, but didn’t need to go to the hospital.
No other injuries were reported.
Copyright 2021 KYOU. All rights reserved.