Ottumwa School District reports increase in enrollment numbers
OTTUMWA, Iowa (KYOU) -Ottumwa Community Schools announced significant growth in student enrollment for the 2021-22 school year.
It says its PK-12 certified student enrollment increased from 4,701 students to 4,887 for a total increase of 186 students.
The press release says this increase represents the most students served by the district in over a decade!
Additionally, the district’s net open enrollment out has leveled off and reversed the large annual increases of students leaving the district for neighboring schools.
The district says this trend demonstrates the renewed trust the community has in Ottumwa Schools.
The press release goes on to say the resources generated by our enrollment increase will further advance the visionary Be The Best initiative that includes some highlights this school year:
- $21 million investment in facilities improvements and upgrades in all schools
- Recruitment and retention of the best and brightest teachers, counselors, and staff
- Commitment to reduced class sizes and free three- and four-year-old preschool
- $750,000 in new instructional materials
- Expansion of academic programs from Career Academies to Pre-AP and AP courses
- Increased supports for student social-emotional learning, athletics, and activities
- State leader in developing dyslexia-friendly classrooms and reading interventions
Copyright 2021 KYOU. All rights reserved.